(Information gained from Patrick Johnstone’s book Operation World and Peter Hammond’s book Killing Fields of Mozambique. Some of the information may vary slightly from more recently published data. See also the more comprehensive report by Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozambique.)
Capital city, Maputo, 2,2m people. (Or 1,2m).
Total area, 799,380 sq km. (Or 801,590 sq km).
Maputo province, 23 576 sq km. Provincial capital Maputo.
Gaza province, 75 450 sq km. Provincial capital Xai-Xhai
Imhambane province, 61 615 sq km. Provincial capital Inhambane where the Portuguese established a permanent settlement and trading post in 1534 making it one of the oldest settlements in Southern Africa.
From North to South, Mozambique stretches over a distance of 2800 km with 25 rivers including the Zambezi and Limpopo to cross, making traveling very difficult.
Total 22 898 m. (2014: 24 692 144)
Maputo province: 1 037 344 that is 44 inhabitants per sq. km.
Gaza province: 1 207 200 that is 16 inhabitants per sq km.
Inhambane province: 1 170 685 that is 19 inhabitants per sq. km.
Literacy, 40% official, 20% functional.
Thirty years of intensive guerrilla warfare as well as natural disasters such as cyclones, floods and droughts, impoverished the population. Up till 1995 when peace came, this was one of the poorest countries in the world but at present it has one of the fastest growing economies in Africa. It will however take a long time before the country people that live off the land, will benefit by the change.
A Portuguese colony for 470 years which became independent in 1975. A guerrilla war ensued till 1992 when the two opposing parties came to a final agreement and instituted a multi-party democracy and market based economy.
During certain periods of it’s history, Christians suffered terribly for their faith. Pastors were martyred because they would not deny the Lord Jesus Christ as Saviour and Lord. The intense suffering over so many years, created a spiritual hunger and at present Mozambique shows the fastest church growth of any Black country in Africa. Yet there are many tribes and vast areas that desperately need the preaching of the Gospel and training of believers and pastors to become worthy disciples of the Lord.
THE INDIGENOUS CHRISTIAN CHURCH OF MOZAMBIQUE
• The Church in Mozambique consists of many different denominations.
• Its main need is the proper training of their leaders to empower them to disciple their own people.
• The training needs to be done by Christian leaders that understand the local culture.
• The civil war left in it’s wake many, many wounded hearts that need a tender healing touch.
• There are several organizations operating within Mozambique for the relief of hunger and other humanitarian reasons. The country however needs more assistance to improve it’s infrastructure such as road and railway lines to open up it’s hinterland.
• People living off the land need to be instructed and assisted in cultivating their crops to gain better harvests.
• Boreholes need to be sunk to improve the water supply. Many woman walk long distances to fetch water in 20 liter containers.
• HIV Aids and malaria cause the death of thousands.
TO SEND US YOUR REQUEST, QUERY OR COMMENT, PLEASE USE THE COMMENT FORM BELOW